Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Christmas toss-up continued

The main alternative to flat-out Jesus kids get at Christmas is Santa. So, this would seem a natural choice for our household, especially being as fond as we are of fairy-stories. But there's something about the whole Santa masquerade that's rankled me as long as I can remember, so I've kind of begged off just laying him out on a platter as where the presents come.
But...
Somehow, the kid's latched onto him as THE source of Christmas gifts. She told me plainly that there should be NO presents in the house, and that Santa would take care of it on Christmas Eve. I was tempted to do as she said, and take any existing presents out, but not even I'm that cruel (plus I'd been looking forward to her getting the dollhouse we'd gotten her way back in early autumn). I wouldn't concede, however, to the wife's suggestion that we tag some gifts as 'From Santa.' I don't know how to handle her self-created belief in the Jolly Old Elf, but one thing's for certain: I won't be resorting to the emotional blackmail that makes up the 'Santa's Naughty-or-Nice' list myth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home